01 July 2010

For the Love of Looking-glass

I love mirrors.  Always have.  They are like your favorite pair of shoes - they go with anything.  Not only are they beautiful, but they serve a variety of honorable purposes.  Mirrors reflect light.  They are shiny and glamorous, without being tacky and they provide a frame for hours of self-admiration.  Mirrors are mystical and full of folklore and meaning.  They create illusions of space and distance and can add dimension to even the smallest of spaces.  At a loss for what to put over that new console?  Grab a
mirror.  Most any will do.  Need a statement piece in your dining room, but can't afford original artwork?  An oversize mirror would do the trick.  Mirrors have long been my go-to accessory for wall decor and I certainly don't discriminate.  I like them all: round, square, old, new, wooden or metal - mirrors have never let me down.  I particularly love convex mirrors, like this one from Horchow by Christopher Guy.  Yumm.  There is something so fascinating about how the mirror bends the reflection, making objects disappear near the edges and I can't help but think of Jan van Eyck's Arnolfini Marriage (below) every time I look at one.  There is so much mystery and symbolism surrounding that painting and I long to bring some of that stately drama into my own home. 


Recently, I have been seeing mirrors in a new and surprising place.  It seems only natural because they really can go anywhere, but I am particularly loving the dose of luxury that mirrors are adding to kitchens.   I didn't really flinch when I saw mirrors hung on empty kitchen walls or adjacent breakfast areas, but when I spotted a mirrored backsplash and a gilded mirror over a stove as if it were a dresser (!!!), I was flabbergasted.  It seems gaudy, I know, but the illusion is so seamless and subtle that it takes a second to even realize what is going on.  Behold some of my favorite mirror-blessed kitchens.  They are truly a feast for the eyes! 

Image courtesy of House Beautiful

Image courtesy of House Beautiful

Image courtesy of Lonny Magazine via http://www.lonnymag.com/

Image courtesy of House Beautiful

Image courtesy of House Beautiful

Image courtesy of Domino Magazine

Mirrored backsplash, here I come!

3 comments:

  1. I've never considered this- or noticed this, but I love how you're pointing out these trends for us. Design trends can seem shocking when we first see them. After a year of this, perhaps we'll think mirrors were always in the kitchen. I also love discovering a mirror in a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful idea...a mirror in the garden. Now I know I need a mirror in my kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing could add whimsy to a garden like a mirror - I love that. My gardening skills leave much to be desired, but perhaps an inspirational object amongst my weeds and briars could be just the thing to get me motivated. Thanks for reading and for commenting!!

    ReplyDelete