02 November 2012

Passion for Fashion Anew

I never really lost my passion for fashion, but I did kind of stick it in the back of my closet for a later date.  But never fear, all of that changed tonight.  I got on the computer to do some work and I got distracted for maybe hours looking at The Northern Light - do you know of her?  I won't waste time with introductions- educate yourself on your time- because I have to jump right into her fabulous outfits before my head explodes, like this one...


I really don't know what to say about this Philip Lim dress except holy shit.
  
And then there's this...



Simple.  Understated.  Stunning.  This ensemble has my name written all over it.  (Or at least I like to think it does)  And what about this little number...


Notice the same boots.  One of the things I love about her outfits- you see the same pieces come up again and again, but completely reinvented, which is just so European.  I'm just not as swift at that whole have great staples in your closet and add a few accessories every season to enhance what you have thing.  Case and point: fabulous yellow sweater...


One sweater, two ways...


Which brings me to another thing.  This chick is like the queen of fabulous knit tops.  The one above is superb, no doubt, but the YSL knit below is definitely up there...


Nothing says effortless chic like a slouchy knit sweater.  And speaking of effortless chic, check out this summer dress that her "mum" made for her...


Which brings me to my closing argument.  There is no coincidence that I am rediscovering the wonders of fabulous fashion at a time when my own "mum's" workspace/studio is being redesigned.  Hedvig here (that's her name- The Northern Light girl) is a true artist in her own right and her flare for wardrobe styling jumps through her blog and drop kicks you in the face.  I feel completely inspired to dust off my old Singer, strap my pin cushion to my wrist and tape measure around my neck and begin running fabric under that pounding needle like there ain't no tomorrow.  BUT, if I wan't it done the right way, I will leave it to a real fashion designer: my mama.  So, mom, if you're reading, here are a few of the items I will be commissioning from you and your brand new workspace in the coming months...


This skirt.  I'm thinking Dupioni silk, cut in strips and sewn back together and then laid flat and cut pattern pieces from it.  How about that jacket too?  


These pants.  Sigh.  I need them.  


Skirt.  Brocade.  'Nuff said.

All images via The Northern Light








No comments:

Post a Comment