22 May 2012

R is for Rut

Let's just pretend for one minute that I am not 33 weeks pregnant and that my emotions aren't up, down and all over the place.  Let's pretend that the frustrated feelings I'm having are not related to lack of sleep or hormones.  Let's just pretend because I need to vent. 
I try my best to stay current on various tastes and aesthetics.  I work hard to live in my client's minds and understand what they want better than they do.  I aspire to be chameleon-like, taking on the preferences of others in order to make their home a place that they love.  But lately, while doing what I do, I seem to have lost what it is that I love.  Just like me, my home is an ongoing work in progress.  I'm okay with that.  It is in exploring this "work in progress" that I began blogging and eventually discovered my passion in life.  In spite of this, one Albert Hadley quote keeps playing in my head,

"Make your home as comfortable and attractive as possible and then get on with living." 

I think about this over and over and wonder what he meant, often rationalizing that he didn't intend for it to apply to interior designers.  I know I can't be the only chump in this industry who constantly feels the need to redecorate my own home.  (Right??)  With every piece of rearranged furniture and new accessory, I like to think that I get closer to my true and genuine voice.  One that, once I hear it clearly for the first time, will not waiver. 
Here's hoping that happens soon.

In the meantime, here's the latest from Jamie Meares, one of my favorite designers from just up the road.  She never fails to make me feel completely inadequate. 
Thanks again, Lady Meares!











All photos via Lonny Magazine

1 comment:

  1. awh, i feel like a turd most times too! thanks for posting =)

    ReplyDelete