26 May 2011

From the Estate of Mme. Betsy Breckinridge...

Yesterday, I received an email about an estate sale that Estate Liquidators called, "One of their grandest sales to date!"  So this morning ma soeur et moi, along with all three young, headed out to Oak Bluff Court to see what the buzz was about.  My standards are high normally, but since our house is already brimming with wedding stuff and hidden clutter, I decided I wouldn't buy anything unless I absolutely loved it and couldn't live my life without it.  I didn't even bring my money in because I was determined to be discerning and downright persnickety!  FAIL!  Thirty minutes and one story in, I was running to the car to get my cash and asking myself, "Would $50 be enough?"  I just can't resist old shit with a story.  It's a weakness of mine.  While my sister was methodically sorting through Eastern ephemera and Asiatique planters and prints, I was stockpiling what my mom would call a bunch of junk.  So here are my treasures, they aren't worth much, but I sure do like 'em.

The man taking the money explained to me that this was the home of local celebrity Betsy Breckinridge and the paintings were done by her mother, Carolyn Wells, "in her younger years."  In addition to this quirky lady, I bought a landscape painting that reminds me of the Midwest in the '50s.

Enamelware!... and another Ball jar.  I can't help myself.

I thought this terra cotta pot had fabulous form and I liked it so much, I bought two.


  I buy scarves everywhere I go in hopes of one day framing them or making them into pillows.  Rarely I wear them, but I particularly loved the MC Escher-ish one with the navy blue houses.

These two dolls were a last minute find and I think they'll be cute as part of a hanging collage of framed pictures and things.

That's all for now,  I gotta run and hide all of this stuff before the old man gets home.  It's best that he discover these little treasures after they've been nestled into their proper places.  More to come...

4 comments:

  1. A Client of our just sent this to us! Thank you so much for coming to the sale and all the kind words! I just emailed this to Betsy Breckenridge - I know it will make her smile!
    (great deals coming today - so come back!)
    Tony & Geno - The Estate Sale Guys
    Estate Liquidators of South Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, a girl after my own heart. I just integrate the new stuff and hope it takes him awhile to notice it. Then I just say that we have had it a long time and wonder why he forgot we had that.

    Come visit me a rgoins.blogspot.com.

    I am just up I-77 from Columbia. I missed this sale because of a hurt foot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great guys! I love their estate sales - and I've only been to 1 of the, a few weekends ago in Orangeburg. Went there to get one thing they had that I had a dire need to posess - becuase my Dad had one just like it when I was a child. It reminds me of him daily now. Love it! Also bought some other stuff some people would call junk - I call it JUNQUE, antiques, collectibles, cool stuff, treasures. Had a blast at that sale - and everywhere else I roam in surch of the ultimate treasure trove. Fun, ain't it? Now............ where to put all of it in this old house of mine. Therein lies the problem. Happy hunting!
    My name is Bonnie and I love TREASURE HUNTING! No, it's NOT junk, as my husband would say. HE's such an old fart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Love your post, found it through the SC Consigment/Liquidators ;D I so wanted to attend that sale but was in a class for three days...love the butterflies! I hate to ask but....how much were those butterflies? BTW - love your style of writing ;D Great read. Thanks - Margeaux

    ReplyDelete