My weekend was fabulously lazy and unproductive. It was a welcome change after a busy week. But sometime, in between the Lifetime movies, I baked, I pickled and I ate. A lot. Here are two original recipes guaranteed to whet your whistle.
Bread and Butter Pickles
1½ cups distilled white vinegar
½ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup kosher salt
2 cups white sugar
6 cups sliced cucumbers
1 cup sliced red onion
1 cup sliced banana peppers
3½ tsp mustard seed
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 cinnamon stick
1 Tablespoon Mulling Spices
½ tsp turmeric
1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring vinegar, salt, sugar and all the spices to a boil. Boil until the sugar has dissolved, about 10 minutes.
2. Place the cucumbers, onions and peppers sterile jars. Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables. Seal immediately and transfer to the refrigerator.
Trail Mix Cookies
1 stick of butter (softened)
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar (packed)
1 large egg
1½ cups bread flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup Guittard’s white chocolate vanilla chips
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup dried sweetened cranberries
1½ tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine butter, sugar, and egg on low speed until creamed.
3. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix on low until blended. Do not over beat.
4. Add remaining ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Spoon generous dollops of dough onto a cookie sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden.